I padded out of my bedroom the other day with the song of the magpies and looked around with a new perspective and my blinkers off.
There were a few dishes in the sink from last night’s little treat while watching netflix. On the dining room table the sun streamed in to highlight tiny, crusty bits of food that had superglued themselves to the table in a desperate attempt to avoid the cloth after missing out last night. Some of the furniture pieces I’d had were staring at me in bemusement, their stained wood from another decade rolling its eyes at me. The fridge was covered in an assortment of notes, kids artwork and tradespeople’s magnets. Everything was relatively tidy, but it was just a bit bleh.
Where was the emotion in the home? Even after I did my jazzy cleaning routine, it was just sterile. It went further, blinkers still off dressing gown on I trudged into my wardobe. My clothing was ok but didn’t really make me feel anything. It served a purpose of being easy to put on without having to think at the brain dusky hour of the morning. It was dark to avoid all manner of toddler stains. Don’t get me wrong this is a very valid and practical justification for my clothes, but surely, I have another colour other than black.
Right onto the garden. My garden too was neat and tidy, except for the few weeds poking up like wiry grey hairs. (I’ll get you later my friends). Shouldn’t my garden be beautiful and a little wild?
On reflection the components of my life were all working just fine…but I wanted more. Every cell in my body wanted to feel more. I wanted beauty.
But why? When I finally sat down with a cup of tea and very chewy delicious, chocolate biscuit and allowed my eyes to glaze over and drift along. I came up with this…
Ten reasons for living a life filled with beauty.
- When you have beauty in your life you feel alive. It ignites the senses. Not just your spidey senses, but your taste buds, your nostril senses, your eardrums and that lovely sensual thing -touch. Not to mention that seeing beauty is like a short circuit to feeling fabulous. This makes you feel damn good! Like you are not just functioning in life, but living it.
- When you make your home beautiful and take care of yourself and your appearance. Then every time you walk into your home or put on your clothes you are looking after yourself and respecting yourself. Really, when was the last time you actually looked after yourself?
- When you are kind and loving to others you are living a life of beauty and that just makes you feel bloody excellent on the inside.
- When things go bad, which, let’s face it happens to everyone, having a life filled with beauty is like having a sanctuary to retreat;a place to heal in.
- It’s an expression of that inner-most you. As mums or moms we tend to lose that sense of individuality that makes us that delectable, totally individual you?
- Living a life filled with beauty is living in the moment and seeking beauty in all things from the mundane to the previously invisible. The more you start to seek out beauty and appreciate it the more you will see. What you focus on you become.
- It is a pleasure. When life is crammed with monotony, or drama or pain and worry, you deserve pleasure. It soothes and balms.
- There is less room for negativity, jealousy, anger and depression when you are living a life of beauty. The negative thoughts can’t swirl around on that endless repeat cycle.
- When you live a life filled with beauty, you feel beautiful. When you feel beautiful you are beautiful.
- When beauty is crammed into your life you feel damn good inside and then anything is possible. You take chances, you live deeply you laugh your guts out and slurp up life like a beautiful, rich wine.
Need I say more to convince you that living a life filled with beauty is well worth pursuing.
Why do you think we should live a life filled with beauty?